Timbuk2 Command Laptop Backpack: All that you’ll ever need
This bag is not only durable, but also waterproof. With excellent storage options, this professional looking messenger bag also has a studded laptop compartment which is TSA-compliant. The fantastic materials used for this bag are more waterproof and more durable than those of the Patagonia Half Mass. Also, the storage area for smaller items is excellent. When it comes to storing larger items and its TSA–compliant design, the Command is much better suited for frequent flyers.
As previously stated the Timbuk2 Command Laptop Backpack is:
- Professional Looking
- Has Great Storage Options
- TSA-compliant Studded Laptop Compartment
Even when you are caught in an unexpected downpour, the nylon (called durable ballistic) has a waterproof PTU coating, the Command will give you excellent results. Not only do the materials used for this bag look good, it is more waterproof than other multi-purpose messenger bags, like the Patagonia Half Mass. Also, the Command’s main interior will hold up to 21 L; this is a perfect capacity for your daily use.
This bag is preferable over the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger because of the following reasons:
- The Timbuk2 Command Laptop Backpack provides greater storage area for medium and small sized items.
- The finer weave of the strap makes it better looking and more comfortable for everyday use.
- You can move through security at the airport swiftly because of the TSA-compliant laptop compartment. This compartment can be separated from the main interior, which, in the case of a spill, is a real bonus.
- The Command simply has the look and feel of a more professional bag than the Classic Messenger
- An important difference between the designs of the straps is quite evident. The strap of the Command has been oriented to be comfortable when walking, and is mostly vertical, whereas the strap of the Classic Messenger has been placed at a more greater angle in order to make it more useful when biking.
The only feature that we consider unfortunate with the Timbuk2 Command Laptop Backpack is the metal buckles, which are anodized and used to adjust and secure the main cover flap. These buckles do have a more aesthetic appearance than plastic buckles, however, they are considerably harder to use; it takes two hands. We have found that the Timbuk 2’s “memory-adjust True-Fit” cam buckle is basically useless. The company states you are able to “unclick the cam, put the bag over your shoulder, and lock the cam back in for a perfect fit every time” ; unfortunately we will have to disagree with this statement. When the bag is heavy, it is quite difficult to use this buckle, and quite frankly, the time and effort are not worth it. We found the adjustment system of the strap on the Mission Workshop Rummy to be significantly better. Timbuk2 might want to consider taking a few lessons from them. It should be noted that the Command is equipped with a storage interior design that is modular, which allows you to secure and unsecure different pockets, compartments, and slots, to the inside of the bag. When tested by our staff, they all agreed that this was not useful. The storage of this bag is adequate just the way it is. But this is it not too annoying, because the inside loops do not appear to effect the daily use of this bag.
Even with these few minor problems, the Timbuk2 Command Laptop Backpack is an excellent multi-purpose messenger bag and can be used for the office, walking, or for those who simply travel a lot by air. Make sure you use a coupon code at timbuk2.com to save some money. Timbuk2 coupons can be found here.
Compare to the best laptop backpacks.